Sunday, December 4, 2011

Wild Rice Casserole

1 Cup Wild Rice (Rinsed and drained)
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Butter
1 Onion- Chopped
2 Cups Celery- Chopped
1/4 teaspoon sage (If you have it in the house)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Water
1 can Milk

You can also add:
Water chestnuts
 Mushrooms
Turkey (I use 4 cups cut up turkey or chicken)
Cashews, (sprinkle these on the top of the casserole just before serving)


Directions and Story:
Brown onions and celery in butter, (I use the large cast iron cooking pot for this and add all of the remaining ingredients to the browned onions and celery)
Add remaining spices, wild rice, soup, water, and milk. (Add cater chestnuts-etc if you like)
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/2-2 hours or until rice is done.

This was given to me by a friend when I worked in education at Sanford, since we now reside (most of the time) in Minnesota, I thought I should learn more about cooking with Wild rice. This was a successful recipe, everyone very much liked it. I had made something similar with ground beef, but the family reviews weren't as good-The turkey or chicken seem to be the best combination with Wild Rice for our family-anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment