Monday, August 1, 2016

Carrot cake

2 1/2 carrots, grated (I use food processor for this)
1 Apple - medium. Grated

1/2 orange, peeled and blended with;
1/3 cup water (if using sugar not syrup increase water to 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup maple syrup (can use 1 cup sugar instead of syrup)

Add blended ingredients to;
2 cups flour
1/4 cup corn starch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt 

Bake in 9x9 cake pan or the equivalent. 350 degrees for :30 minutes.

Frosting;
Use a hand mixer and blend the following.
1  - 8 ounce package cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 to 1/2 cup maple syrup. ( add just enough to get the sweetness you like, and the consistency)
Chopped pecans (optional)

Story- I made this for Will's birthday in 2011, he thought it was the best carrot cake recipe. At that time I used sugar. In 2016 after we made maple syrup, I have been using the syrup as a sweetener. I works nicely in this recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment