Sunday, May 3, 2015

Sweet & Spicy BBQ Pork

Menu Idea:
Mexican Rice (easy version: Replace half the water with salsa when cooking.)
Avocado
Olives
Cheddar
Cilantro
Shredded lettuce
Sour Cream
BBQ Pork
to fill a warmed tortilla

3 pounds pork (I usually use stew meat or a combo of chicken/pork if that's what's in the freezer)
1 can Rotel (diced tomatoes and green chilies)
1 cup Coke
1 cup brown sugar
1 T chili powder
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 t dried oregano
1/2 t paprika
1 1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t salt

Put the thawed meat in the crockpot with about 4 cups water. Cook on high for around 5 hours. Drain off the liquid and shred the meat. Add the rest of the ingredients, continue to cook on high for about 4 more hours. Finish shredding meat right before serving.

I first tried a recipe similar to this after experiencing Cafe Rio's Sweet Pork, and this is my favorite version yet -- and this is the meal Blair requests more than anything else I make. I like how easy it is, and how versatile the leftovers are -- we eat them in quesadillas, on sandwiches, and over salad. 

1 comment:

  1. I think remember having this when I visited you at your condo. It was really good!

    ReplyDelete